Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video on demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• The Oscar-winning, family-friendly animated feature “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (2018, PG) offers up a new take on the classic story with Miles Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore) getting bitten by the radioactive spider and a whole team of Spider-People from alternate dimensions helping him master his new powers. It also adds new dimensions to an animation style that draws directly from comic book graphics. The voice cast also includes Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin and Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali. Now streaming on Netflix.
• Mary Kay Place is “Diane” (2018, not rated) in a low-key, intimate drama of loneliness, community and late-life regrets. Jake Lacy and Estelle Parsons co-star in the fiction filmmaking debut of film historian and documentary director Kent Jones. Streaming on Hulu.
• Tim Burton directs “Dumbo” (2019, PG), a live-action remake of the animated Disney classic about a misfit baby elephant that can fly. Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito and Eva Green star in this version, which expands the story into a nostalgic big top melodrama of eccentric circus folk versus a scheming amusement park owner. On cable on demand, VOD, DVD and at Redbox.
• Emma Thompson stars in “Years and Years,” a limited series from creator Russell T. Davies (“Queer as Folk” and the “Doctor Who” revival) that follows a family from present day Manchester through overwhelming change in the coming years. New episodes every Monday night on all HBO platforms.
• Fans of “Killing Eve” and “Grey’s Anatomy” can see Emmy-nominated actress Sandra Oh’s first starring role in the indie romantic comedy “Double Happiness” (1995, PG-13), now streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
PAY PER VIEW/VOD
• Robert Pattinson is a convict on a deep-space voyage in “High Life” (2019, R), a dreamy science fiction film from French filmmaker Claire Denis.
• Available the same day as select theaters nationwide is “Euphoria” (2017, R) starring Alicia Vikander and Eva Green.
• Oscar-nominated filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson directs “Anima” (2019, not rated), a short musical film featuring Thom Yorke of Radiohead.
• “20th Century Women” (2016, R) stars Annette Bening as a single mother of a teenage boy determined to give him good life lessons. Elle Fanning and Greta Gerwig costar.
• Rose Byrne, Chris O’Dowd and Ethan Hawke star in “Juliet, Naked” (2018, R), a romantic comedy based on the novel by Nick Hornby.
• Robert Redford is a gentlemanly bank robber in the low-key “The Old Man & the Gun” (2018, PG-13), co-starring Sissy Spacek and Casey Affleck.
NEW ON DISC
• “Dumbo,” “The Aftermath,” “Maze,” “The Hummingbird Project,” “Transit.”
• “Dumbo,” “The Aftermath,” “The Poison Rose,” “T-34.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.