Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video on demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• Indonesian action star Iko Uwais (“The Raid: Redemption”) plays a young chef who is gifted with the power of a thousand monks to fight evil in “Wu Assassins: Season 1,” a martial arts action series with a dash of fantasy set in San Francisco’s Chinatown. Katheryn Winnick and Mark Dacasos costar. Ten episodes streaming on Netflix.
• The five-part documentary series “Free Meek” follows the story of Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill, aka Robert Rihmeek Williams, and the Kafka-esque ordeal with the legal system that transformed him into an activist for criminal justice and parole reform. Streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
• The investigative limited series “The Family” traces the history and influence of The Fellowship, a Christian fundamentalist organization that has been operating in the corridors of power in Washington, D.C., for decades. Streaming on Netflix starting Friday.
• Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams star in the biographical limited series “Fosse/Verdon” (2019, TV-MA), which explores the long personal and creative partnership between director/choreographer Bob Fosse and dancer/actress Gwen Verdon. It has been nominated for 17 Emmy Awards. Now streaming on Hulu.
• The Aretha Franklin concert film “Amazing Grace” (2019, G), shot in 1972 at a church in Watts, presents the Queen of Soul performing gospel at the peak of her career. It took more than 50 years to clear up legal issues and release the film to theaters. It’s now on cable on demand, VOD and DVD, and available at Redbox.
• Classic pick: Oscar-nominated filmmaker Michael Mann made his feature directing debut with “Thief” (1981, R), a cool, gritty crime thriller starring James Caan as the head of a high-end safecracking crew in Chicago. It features meticulously directed heist scenes, an evocative atmosphere and a striking electronic score by Tangerine Dream. On Amazon Prime Video.
PAY PER VIEW/ VIDEO ON DEMAND
• Nicholas Hoult plays young author J.R.R. Tolkien in the biographical drama “Tolkien” (2019, PG-13) and Joanna Hogg’s romantic drama “The Souvenir” (2019, R) won the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival.
• The third season of “GLOW” takes the gorgeous ladies of wrestling to Las Vegas, and the fifth and final season of “Jane the Virgin” arrives barely a week after its conclusion on CW.
• Matthew McConaughey is “The Beach Bum” (2019, R) in Harmony Korine’s stoner comedy with Snoop Doog and Isla Fisher.
• Olivia Colman won the best actress Oscar for playing the lonely, tormented Queen Anne in “The Favourite” (2018, R), a darkly satirical historical drama co-starring Oscar nominees Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone.
• Lucy Lawless plays a retired cop who keeps getting pulled back into cases in “My Life Is Murder,” a new murder mystery series from Australia. Two episodes now available on Acorn, with new episodes each Monday.
• Free streams: Emily Mortimer fights small town opposition to open “The Bookshop” (2017, PG) in this light British drama co-starring Bill Nighy and Patricia Clarkson. Now streaming on Kanopy.
NEW ON DISC/REDBOX
• “Tolkien,” “Amazing Grace,” “Pokemon Detective Pikachu,” “The Curse of La Llorona,” “Batman: Hush.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.