Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video on demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• HBO celebrates the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with the Oscar-winning “First Man” (2018, PG-13) starring Ryan Gosling as astronaut Neil Armstrong (available Saturday night) and the Emmy-winning limited series “From the Earth to the Moon” (1998, TV-PG) from producer Tom Hanks. On all HBO platforms.
• The superhero movie gets a blast of adolescent energy in “Shazam!” (2019, PG-13) when a troubled foster kid is zapped by a magical thunderbolt and transformed into a musclebound man with godlike powers (Zachary Levy) that he wields with childish glee. British baddie Mark Strong plays his big bald nemesis in this comic take on comic book superhero movies. On cable on demand, VOD, DVD and at Redbox.
• “Stranger Things” star David Harbour hosts “Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein” (2019, not rated), a half-hour mockumentary about a lost TV-movie made by his father (also played by Harbour). Streaming on Netflix.
• In his follow-up to “Spamalot,” Eric Idle transforms “Monty Python’s Life of Brian” into “Not the Messiah: He’s A Very Naughty Boy” (2010, PG), a comic oratorio performed with fellow Pythons and friends. Streaming on Amazon Prime.
• “The Princess and the Frog” (2009, G) updates the classic fairy tale to New Orleans in the 1920s and offers Disney’s first African-American princess. It’s old-school animation from “The Little Mermaid” and “Aladdin” directors John Musker and Ron Clements with a musical soundtrack that draws on jazz, zydeco, swing and blues. Streaming on Netflix.
• Free pick: The road movie turned social satire “3 Faces” (Iran, 2019, not rated, with subtitles), the fourth feature directed by Iranian director Jafar Panahi since the government forbid him from filmmaking, takes on issues of women’s rights and cultural constraints in Iran with gentle humor. Streaming on Kanopy, available through most public library systems.
• A woman wakes up with amnesia after a brutal assault in “Secret Obsession” (2019, not rated), a Netflix Original romantic thriller with Brenda Song and Dennis Haysbert.
• Jerry Seinfeld’s talk show is back with new guests in “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: Freshly Brewed.”
AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
• John Cusack and Emile Hirsch star in the old-fashioned Western “Never Grow Old” (2019, R).
• Streaming TV: the first season of the Starz drama “Sweetbitter” streams until July 28.
• Urban street crime meets chess tactics in the Sundance award-winning drama “Fresh” (1994, R) with Samuel L. Jackson.
• Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law and Johnny Depp star in the “Harry Potter” prequel “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” (2018, PG-13).
• The two-part documentary “Behind Closed Doors” (2019, TV-MA) examines a double murder in India that sparked a media frenzy.
• The epic, Oscar-winning “War and Peace” (Soviet Union, 1966, with subtitles) streams on The Criterion Channel.
• London’s West End revival of the Tony Award-winning stage musical “Kinky Boots” (2019, not rated), screened in theaters as a Fathom Event, streams exclusively on BroadwayHD.
NEW ON DISC/REDBOX
• “Shazam!,” “Breakthrough,” “Family.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.