What’s new for home viewing on Video on Demand and Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
- A family faces dark, twisted, shadow versions of themselves in Jordan Peele’s eerie “Us” (2019, R). Like his horror-satire hit “Get Out,” it’s a wicked piece of social commentary through a horror movie lens. On Cable On Demand, VOD, DVD, and at
- The new Showtime Original drama “City on a Hill: Season 1” stars Kevin Bacon as a corrupt FBI agent who teams up with an idealistic district attorney (Aldis Hodge) to root out the systematic corruption in 1990s Boston. New episodes on Showtime Anytime Sunday nights.
- The World War II drama “Das Boot” (Germany, 2018, with subtitles) continue the story of the Oscar-nominated 1981 movie with a new submarine crew (headlined by Rick Okon and August Wittgenstein) and Vicky Krieps as a German woman leveraged into working for the Resistance in occupied France. 8 episodes on Hulu.
- Miles Teller is an L.A. County cop by day and vigilante assassin by night in the hyper-stylized, violent crime thriller “Too Old to Die Young,” an Amazon original limited series from polarizing Danish filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn. 10 episodes on Amazon Prime Video.
- The indie thriller “Cop Car” (2015, R) stars Kevin Bacon as a corrupt sheriff whose vehicle (complete with a dead body in the trunk) is stolen by two boys for a joyride. On Netflix.
- Cult pick: the landmark animated science fiction series “Neon Genesis Evangelion” (Japan, 1995-1996) is now on Netflix along with the feature-length follow-ups. “Evangelion: Death (True)²” (1997) and “The End of Evangelion” (1997). English and Japanese soundtracks and optional subtitles.
PAY-PER-VIEW/ VIDEO ON DEMAND
- “Hotel Mumbai” (2018, R), starring Dev Patel and Armie Hammer, dramatizes the real-life 2008 terrorist attack on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai, India.
- Paul Walter Hauser and Anthony Anderson star in “Beats” (2019, TV-MA), a Netflix Original musical drama set in Chicago’s East Side.
- Streaming TV: “Mr. Iglesias: Season 1” features comedian Gabriel Iglesias as the latest eccentric high school teacher to inspire a group of misfit.
AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
- Idris Elba makes his directorial debut with British crime drama “Yardie” (2018, not
- Streaming TV: The fourth and final season of “12 Monkeys” brings the SyFy time travel series to a conclusion.
- A black teenager (Amandla Stenberg) watches her best friend die at the hands of the police in the indie drama “The Hate U Give” (2018, PG-13).
NEW ON DISC/REDBOX
- “Us,” “Wonder Park” “The Beach Bum,” “Hotel Mumbai”
Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at http://streamondemandathome.com.