A search and rescue command post is set up at the intersection of forest road 1900 and 1914, close to where 20-year-old Kaylean Johnson went missing, near Nile, Wash., Wednesday, June 28, 2017. Kaylean Johnson was riding on a 1974 Harley Davidson motorcycle with Patrick Frawley, 61, when it crashed over an embankment and she went missing last Friday north of State Route 410, according to a news release issued by the Kittitas County Sheriff's Office. (SOFIA JARAMILLO/Yakima Herald-Republic)

NACHES — A Union Gap woman missing in the woods near Chinook Pass for a week was found Saturday.

Kaylean Johnson, 20, was taken to the Greenwater fire station off State Route 410 in Pierce County, about 20 miles north of Chinook Pass and about 21 miles west of the search base, according to a Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office news release issued around 2 p.m. Saturday.

Johnson was scratched up and dehydrated but appeared to be in good shape, the release said.

Johnson went missing after she and Patrick Frawley, 61, of Yakima went over a 60-foot embankment on a motorcycle they were riding June 23. Frawley told sheriff’s deputies the crash was somewhere north of State Route 410.

After the motorcycle went off the embankment, the two spent the night in the woods, according to authorities. Johnson left the next day to get help and did not return.

“This country is very easy to get turned around in, but it appears she never quit trying and she stayed close to water as directed to by Mr. Frawley,” said Kittitas County Undersheriff Clay Myers in the release.

The positive resolution of the nearly weeklong search for Johnson is an answer to the prayers of her friends and family, Myers said.

In the release, Myers also made a point of responding to comments on social media while Johnson was missing.

“This should also be a lesson to those people who continued to make false accusations based on rumors and fabricated details, directed at Mr. Frawley,” Myers said.

Frawley was found on SR 410 Monday near the Whistlin’ Jack Lodge, about 10 miles west of Nile, and taken to the Wood Shed Restaurant, several miles east. He was then taken to Virginia Mason Memorial hospital in Yakima, where he was listed in good condition Friday evening.

“This man was cooperative and honest with investigators (and) nearly every aspect of his story was verified by them,” Myers said.

Myers said Frawley’s information was “shaky” when he was first found, but that was due to the fact that Frawley is diabetic and had been without food or insulin in the days before he was found.

“This would be a good opportunity to reflect on how we should be treating each other during a crisis,” Myers said.

The search for Johnson lasted five days.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.
Posting comments is now limited to subscribers only. Become one today or log in using the link below. For additional information on commenting click here.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.