A science project gone awry in an East Valley High School classroom triggered fire alarms and led to a brief school evacuation Monday morning.
East Valley Fire Department Lt. Keith Schrank said the station received the fire alarm at 10:48 a.m. after a Chinese Lantern caught on fire during a science experiment and smoke automatically triggered the alarm.
“I don’t know what they were trying to accomplish, but they were making Chinese lanterns and probably showing how the air rises in them,” he said. “Smoke was really minimal by the time we got there, so I didn’t have to do any smoke removal.”
Schrank said there was no damage to the classroom, and the incident was “not that big of a deal.”
The school’s roughly 900 students were evacuated from and returned to their classrooms by 11:11 a.m., according to Brittany Kaple, the district’s director of communications. A message was sent to parents at 11:25 a.m. notifying them of the event.
Schrank said the school conducted its evacuation routine perfectly.