WAPATO, Wash. — A faulty freezer may have started a garage fire at a home in the 4700 block of Branch Road on Wednesday afternoon, firefighters say.

Yakima County Fire District 5 responded to the home shortly before 5 p.m., according to a news release issued by Capt. Landon Lommers.

The first crews arrived to find heavy fire in the one-car garage attached to the home, with flames beginning to spread to the attic and living area. The fire was contained, however, to the attic and the garage. Smoke spread throughout the rest of the residence, Lommers said.

The fire apparently started in or around an upright freezer, though the exact cause was not immediately known. The case was referred to the Yakima County fire marshal’s office and the homeowner’s insurance company for any necessary investigation, Lommers said, adding that the fire was not considered suspicious.

The occupants were not home at the time.

The loss was estimated at $35,000.