YAKIMA, Wash. — A 14-year-old Toppenish boy convicted of groping two women in separate attacks last year was sentenced Thursday to at least two years in juvenile custody.

The defendant, who was 13 at the time of the attacks, was sentenced from 104 to 130 weeks in custody after Yakima County Superior Court Judge Richard Bartheld rejected his request for out-of-custody sex offender therapy.

Deputy prosecutor Quinten Bowman said Bartheld made his ruling after two experts, including one for the defense, determined the teenager was not amenable to treatment out of custody.

The teenager, whose name is being withheld by the Yakima Herald-Republic due to his age, already had a growing criminal record when he was accused of attacking a 37-year-old woman on Jan. 30, 2012, at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Toppenish.

The woman told police the boy grabbed her while she was alone, resulting in a protracted struggle during which he repeatedly groped her breasts before she fended him off.

Released from custody while awaiting disposition, as juvenile trials are called, the teen was accused of another attack Aug. 5.

Police said the boy took his mother’s minivan and drove up to the Moulin Brew coffee stand at 2412 S. First St. in Yakima, where he crawled through the window and began groping the lone barista on duty.

The barista fought off the boy and grabbed a phone, prompting him to crawl back out and drive off.

A Yakima County sheriff’s deputy arrested him about 20 minutes later after spotting the minivan on Interstate 82 near Toppenish.

Moulin Brew features scantily clad baristas, and police said the boy had paid for several suggestive dances called “Five Dollar Hollers” prior to the attack.

His criminal history dates to February 2011, when he picked up and flung a Chihuahua-mix dog 15 or 20 feet in the air while hanging out with friends after school, breaking its leg. A veterinarian reset the bone, and the dog was placed in the foster care of a compassionate school official.

On May 13, 2011, before the animal cruelty case was resolved, he was caught breaking into the home of an elderly neighbor woman and subsequently sentenced to 31 days in custody.

Later that year, he was arrested again, this time for car theft. Sentenced to less time than before — 22 days — he was already free when he attacked the woman in the church.

• Chris Bristol can be reached at 509-577-7748 or cbristol@yakimaherald.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ChrisJBristol.