ZILLAH — A fire that severely damaged a large barn Monday night was caused by insulation problems with a wood stove, a fire official said Tuesday.

Capt. Ken Robillard of Yakima County Fire District 5 said the three-story barn, located in a pasture in the 1400 block of Roza Drive, near Yakima Valley Highway, caught fire at the nexus of the chimney pipe and ceiling.

The barn was being used for storage, including furniture, much of it lost on the second and third floors, Robillard said.

Although damage to the entire structure was severe, much of the furniture and material on the first and largest floor was salvageable, Robillard said.

Units from District 5 stations 9 (Toppenish), 10 (Zillah) and 12 (Outlook) responded, he said.