GOLDENDALE — Two longtime residents of Goldendale died, most likely in their sleep, from a Veterans Day house fire caused by their wood-burning stove.

Jerry Sherman, 77, and his wife, Barbara Sherman, died from smoke inhalation during a fire that destroyed their mobile home in the 800 block of Foster Road, about two miles north of Goldendale, said Lori Hoctor, Klickitat County coroner and prosecutor.

They most likely didn’t wake up from their night’s rest, said Hoctor, who did not know the age of Barbara Sherman.

Firefighters said the fire started in the couple’s wood stove but the county fire marshal was still investigating, Hoctor said. No foul play is suspected, she added.

The couple has lived in Goldendale a long time, had a lot of family in the area and was well known, Hoctor said. One of their granddaughters recently married, Hoctor said.

“They’ve been a pretty big part of our community for a very long time,” Hoctor said.

Barbara Sherman’s brother, Mike Foster, lives about a mile away on an adjoining rural property and first called 911 when he spotted the flames shortly after 4 a.m. Monday, Hoctor said. The house was engulfed by the time he reached it, she said.