UNION GAP, Wash. — Twenty-four hours after being attacked, a Union Gap woman who had her throat slashed was released from the hospital Monday.

A suspect, meanwhile, was ordered held on $750,000 bail while prosecutors consider charges.

Greg Cobb, Union Gap’s interim police chief, said Monday the 31-year-old woman and her boyfriend, who was also injured in the attack, received multiple stitches to close their wounds. The woman had undergone surgery for a wound described as being from ear-to-ear.

“From what I understand the blade missed the vital parts by just a few millimeters,” Cobb said.

Police said the suspect, the 35-year-old brother of the woman’s boyfriend, attacked her Sunday morning at a home in the 2100 block of South Fourth Avenue. All three were roommates.

The motive for the attack remains unclear. According to the probable-cause affidavit, the suspect told an officer he cut the woman’s throat and then stabbed and slashed his brother when his brother tried to intervene.

“He didn’t know why he did it,” the officer reported, adding the suspect said he “just snapped.”

According to court files, the suspect has a lengthy misdemeanor record that includes several arrests and convictions for domestic violence and possession of drug paraphernalia, as well as obstruction and negligent driving.

His name is being withheld by the Yakima Herald-Republic because he has not been charged yet. Prosecutors have until Wednesday to file charges or release the suspect from jail.

The attack was one of two domestic disturbances over the weekend involving knives.

Early Saturday, a woman allegedly stabbed her 26-year-old boyfriend several times with a kitchen knife during an especially violent disturbance in the 1400 block of North 16th Avenue in Yakima.

Police determined the girlfriend, who had numerous injuries, was defending herself and arrested the boyfriend. He was booked on suspicion of second-degree assault and is being held on $20,000 bail while prosecutors consider charges.