YAKIMA, Wash . — Yakima firefighters say they rescued a cat hiding under a bed during a basement fire Monday evening at a home in the 1300 block of South 24th Avenue.
Two adult residents, alerted by their smoke detector, safely escaped from the home before firefighters arrived, Capt. Jennifer Norton said in a news release. A dog also made it out.
The fire was reported about 6:45 p.m. Firefighters said they arrived to find a quickly spreading basement fire. Once crews made it down the stairs through rising smoke and heat, they were able to quickly extinguish the fire.
Norton said a large amount of belongings were able to be salvaged from the basement.
An unspecified electrical problem was blamed for starting the fire, investigators said.
The residents were being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The loss was estimated at $20,000, plus personal belongings.
West Valley, Union Gap, East Valley and the Yakima Training Center fire departments sent units to assist.