YAKIMA, Wash. — A paroled killer nicknamed “C-Money” was sentenced to 5½ years in prison Friday for shooting a woman he had been dating.

Corey Bushul Jackson, 36, of Yakima, also earned his second strike for his plea in Yakima County Superior Court to charges of second-degree assault — domestic violence — and first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

The case stemmed from a shooting last June that left a frightened 27-year-old woman with a life-threatening gunshot wound to the neck and detectives struggling to locate the crime scene.

It began when the woman was dropped off at Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center, claiming she had been shot in a drive-by near the corner of Lincoln and Custer avenues.

Officers doubted that and soon focused their attention on a home in the 1200 block of Jerome Avenue, three blocks north and directly adjacent to Garfield Elementary School.

Detectives said the woman, while recovering from surgery, repeatedly declined to tell detectives what happened and instead insisted that she did not want to pursue charges.

But detectives said several members of her family came forward in the days after the shooting and said the woman had identified Jackson, her boyfriend, as the person who shot her.

Among the witnesses was the woman’s stepfather, who related the following story, as recounted by Yakima police Detective Kasey Hampton:

The stepfather “stated that (his stepdaughter) said that she was trying to get away from Corey on foot, when he caught up to her and forced her in his vehicle. She stated that they were arguing about her leaving him when Corey pulled out a gun and shot her. (She said) that Corey then pushed her out of the car.”

Another witness told detectives that shortly after the shooting, he got a call on the woman’s cellphone in which a man identifying himself as “C-Money” threatened to kill him for helping the woman leave him.

Deputy prosecutor David Soukup said “evidentiary concerns” that included the woman’s lack of cooperation forced him to take a charge of attempted murder off the table and offer a plea deal of 67 months.

Court records show Jackson was convicted of second-degree murder in King County in 1995 and was paroled in 2006.

Details about the murder case were not immediately available, although Soukup noted, “That was his first strike.”

• Chris Bristol can be reached at 509-577-7748 or cbristol@yakimaherald.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ChrisJBristol.