Uncontrolled burn destroys house
Grandview — Leaf burning that got out of control resulted in the loss of a $440,000 home near Grandview on Saturday afternoon, according to a news release from Fire District 5.
Capt. Mark Oakes said Gregory Marple was burning leaves in his front yard at 651 E. Stover Road shortly after noon when he lost control of the burn and several arborvitae ignited near the house. There were no injuries but the house and contents were a total loss, Oakes said in a news release.
It took more than 25 firefighters nearly three hours to bring the blaze under control. Assisting were agencies from Sunnyside, Prosser, Yakima County Sheriff and Pacific Power.