SELAH, Wash. — A dryer fire at an assisted-living facility was quickly extinguished Sunday morning, leaving only minor smoke damage, fire officials said.
The fire in the laundry room at Riverview Manor, which specializes in care for people with dementia and Alzheimer’s, started shortly after 10 a.m. and was caused by some towels in the facility’s commercial dryer, said Selah Fire duty Officer Ed Moore.
Firefighters responded quickly, and within about five minutes of arriving had doused the fire and cut the electricity, Moore said. Twelve firefighters from Selah, Yakima and the Yakima Training Center were on scene.
Even before firefighters arrived, Moore said, Riverview staff had followed emergency procedure and safely moved all the residents to an unaffected wing of the building, where they wouldn’t be vulnerable to smoke.
“No injuries, no life loss; just the way I like it,” Moore said. “When you have residents that are limited mobility or special needs, our first concern is life loss.”
He said there was no damage to the laundry room except for minor smoke exposure, but the dryer was probably a total loss.
Staff at the facility had no comment Sunday.