YAKIMA, Wash. — A leaking natural gas pipe that prompted the evacuation of Yakima’s Eisenhower High School on Wednesday morning has been safely sealed, city firefighters said.
Initial reports indicate that a worker may have accidentally cut the 1-inch line about 9 a.m.
About 50 workers and others were evacuated from school property.
Firefighters waited for Cascade Natural Gas to secure the line after the problem was reported, Capt. Tom Schneider said. Power also was shut down to the complex.
Firefighters cleared the scene about 11 a.m.
Construction of a new high school and demolition of part of the old building are ongoing.
Schneider said he believes the damaged line was between two buildings in the old complex.
Cascade Natural Gas had to locate the main source for the damaged 1-inch line so it could be shut off.
The school property was evacuated as a precaution; no steps were taken to remove residents from the surrounding neighborhood, Schneider said.
Yakima School District spokesperson Mary Beth Wright said the incident will not disrupt ongoing construction at the school.