YAKIMA, Wash. — Firefighters say a child playing with a cigarette lighter caused a fire that damaged part of a duplex in northeast Yakima early Friday afternoon.

The 7-year-old boy was playing with the lighter in the basement, where he started a fire that spread through the heating ducts to the main floor of the duplex at 412 N. Sixth St., said Ted Vander Houwen, Yakima Fire Department shift commander. Firefighters, who were summoned at 1:25 p.m., were able to keep the fire from getting into the attic, Vander Houwen said. The fire was put out shortly before 2 p.m., and Vander Houwen estimated the damage at $3,000 to $4,000.

“The fire department did a good job,” Vander Houwen said. Four fire trucks responded to the call.

None of the four people in the unit was injured, Vander Houwen said.

Firefighters found a 5-gallon gasoline can in the basement, and the two smoke detectors in the house were not working. Vander Houwen said gasoline should never be stored inside a house.

Yakima County tax records show the duplex was built in 1920 and has an assessed value of $84,400.