UNION GAP, Wash. — Former Union Gap Mayor Jim Lemon was arrested Wednesday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence and obstructing a law enforcement officer, according to Yakima County jail records.

Union Gap’s acting director of public safety, Greg Cobb, who serves as police chief, said Lemon was detained by police on suspicion of a traffic offense just after 7 a.m. Wednesday in the vicinity of West Valley Mall Boulevard and South Fifth Street in Union Gap.

Cobb wouldn’t offer any further details about the incident except to say Lemon was detained after police responded to a complaint of someone driving recklessly in the area.

“Due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, there’s not going to be any further comment on it at this time,” Cobb said.

Lemon is expected to appear in Union Gap Municipal Court, possibly as early as today, Cobb said.

If Lemon is charged, it would be the second time charges have been brought against him in the past year by Union Gap police. In May, a Yakima County District Court judge dismissed a reckless driving charge against Lemon stemming from a November 2012 incident.

Lemon was accused of spinning the tires of his van to spray a city public works employee with gravel, but the judge said there was insufficient evidence. The allegations came at the tail end of Lemon’s term, just weeks after Union Gap voters abolished the strong-mayor form of government through a ballot initiative.

Lemon received a temporary eighth seat on the Union Gap City Council last year to finish the remaining 32 months of his term, but resigned in April, citing personal reasons.

Lemon’s wife, Dawn, unsuccessfully campaigned to unseat Union Gap City Council member Chad Lenz in the Nov. 5 election.

Lemon and the city continue to face complaints in court from two former city clerks alleging sexual harassment, defamation and a hostile work environment under his management.

After former fire Chief Bill Steele alleged Lemon fired him in 2011 without cause and refused him severance pay, the city in March agreed to pay him $125,000 as well as officially acknowledge Steele was fired without cause and write a letter of recommendation on his behalf.