YAKIMA, Wash. — Seattle band Hey Marseilles captured Yakima’s heart years ago and maintained its hold via annual shows at the Gilbert Cellars Cave.
I’ll admit that I resisted the band and its brand of orchestral indie-folk. It’s not my aesthetic, you know. But the music is good, beautiful even at times, with smart lyrics that balance hope with Seattle melancholy. And frontman Matt Bishop is always a good interview. You can see that for yourself in Thursday’s On magazine, which features a lengthy Q&A with Bishop.
Of course, that’s not all we’ve got in this week On magazine. There’s also:
• An Indoorsman column about getting older.
• A Dear Crabby column answering a whole host of questions from a (possibly crazy) person who sent them all in via regular mail.
• An On the Menu recommendation for Wild Burgers down in Prosser.
• A review of Pierce Brown’s “Red Rising” by Inklings bookshop staffer Amy Stoothoff.
• A collection of 10 Days Out briefs, including upcoming events in music, film, visual art and more.
And, as always, we’ve got calendar listings of all kinds to help you plan for the weekend and beyond. Pick up a copy of On magazine in Thursday’s Yakima Herald-Republic.